The following in this morning from an unidentified but apparently pretty disgruntled motorist who asked that we make his grievances widely known in the pages of World Streets. So in the spirit of equal time and with no more ado, World Streets turns over the stage to him. Let's listen to what he has to say:
I really hope you will print this letter. The point of view of those who drive cars is not being taken into account by the public authorities as they start to flood our cities with bicycles all over the place. A bit of fairness please. My reasons?
- Well, first of all, they were all supposed to be out of here by now. It is extremely irritating that after all we have spent and done to make our cities safe for cars that they are still out there clogging the streets. This is not right.
- The machines themselves are not modern. I personally find them ugly, weak, underpowered . . . effeminate if you will.
- They get in the way of our cars and make drivers like myself (all drivers that is) nervous. They distract us and cause accidents. That costs us real money.
- If you can believe it, there are cities that are even starting to take away street space intended for cars and converting it to bike use. This is insane and reactionary. We cannot allow it to continue.
- They are even starting to take up perfectly good parking spaces. And yet we all know that plentiful (and preferably free) car parking holds the key to the successful city.
- I do not like cyclists. They always take the moral high ground. They are uppity. They do not know their place. I find them wanton, aggressive and threatening. It is a source of relief that I am separated and protected from them by my car's hard shell and speed.
- They are a menace to me when I am trying to walk the short distances I have to cover by foot once I have parked my car. They are very dangerous.
- They look like garbage. Have you ever seen thousands of bikes parked in some kind of public space?
- Fortunately the bike industry is small change in terms of its economic and political reach, so the day will go to cars. More cars.
- Finally, did you know this? They don't even pay taxes. Now that's just not right.
Well, first of all, they were all supposed to be out of here by now. It is extremely irritating that after all we have spent and done to make our cities safe for cars that they are still out there clogging the streets. This is not right.
I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore! I hope you are mad too and ready to do something about it. We need to get together and fight this menace.
Yours in battle,
# # #
About the author:
This missive arrived this morning from a person who refuses to identify himself; however he did attach this photo for which we thank him warmly. In the meantime, we have a number of our international contacts who are searching to identify the photo, and readers will be kept up to date on progress as it happens. World Streets - 24/7. The Al Jazeera of sustainable transportation.
# # #
Do you have anything to say on this? Did we miss anything here? You are invited to comment, amend and complete this heartfelt cry from the heart.
The Editor Print this article