Every day is a great day to take a few cars off the road and think about it
Once a year in mid-summer we wind up the World Car Free Day Collaborative site at www.worldcarfreedays.com as we have done yearly for the last 15 years to get it ready to serve as an information source and contact tool for cities and others who are considering events in the second half of the year. Most notably among these the numerous Car Free Day events are those that tend to cluster around the end of September, including the annual European Mobility Week and its multitude of CFDs, most but not all of which in Europe, which you can check out for yourself at http://www.mobilityweek.eu/home/.
If you would like to see the latest on what we have to share with you -- including numerous information on and links to other CFD programs, sites and information - we can suggest no less than five sources that you may wish to check out this morning:.
- The World Car Free Days website at www.worldcarfreedays.com - (For the first time visitor we recommend that she work her way across the top menu, which is more compact and has been updated. For the rest (left menu) ou may wish to keep an eye out because some parts of the site are not only very large but in a few cases out of date.We leave it to you to click through quickly and spot the older bits for yourself. )
- The original 1997 Car Free Café, open 24/7 since at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/CarFreeCafe/
- The brand new (and considerably more efficient) Facebook World Car Free Café at http://www.facebook.com/pages/World-Car-Free-Caf%C3%A9/155483307908731
- Our growing library of CFD films at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R3tLUZO8_8&list=PL2120657BD0B30397&feature=view_all
- From World Streets, a selection of articles which look at car free days and car free cities from a variety of angles -- http://worldstreets.wordpress.com/category/modes/cars/car-free/
But as we say, "Every day is a great day to take a few cars off the road and think about it" And indeed cities around the world organize their own Days when and how they want to. Which is exactly as it should be.
# # #
Print this article