Monday, December 21, 2009

Editorial: Après Copenhagen. Now what?

Five times since late evening of the fatal Friday 18th in Copenhagen, I have attempted to get out a strong editorial on this important subject, sustainable transport included, but thus far I have yet to crack my task. Be patient and in the meantime remember what kind old Henry Ford once so famously wrote: "Of all the kinds of work I known, thinking is the hardest. And that's I guess why people do so little of it".

But should you be at all curious to follow my tortured path, during all of which I was trying hard to find a way to be at once both lucid and useful, if you click here you will find my first late Friday night attempt. If I may, there are a few thoughts in there that still may be worth a minute of your time. However upon careful inspection I decided to back away from the early versions of the posting because I found it too verbose, muddy, too roughly reasoned and still incomplete.

But above all I found that in its first iteration it was too openly, one might even say arrogantly critical, and not sufficiently positive. At this point we need to lay off the criticism and carping, that's the past, and now get put our heads and hearts together to see what needs to be gleaned from all this terrible experience (the word is not too harsh) for the future. Which is after all ours to grasp.

Have a look at the revised version here in the next few days. I am confident that you will find it better and hopefully even of some use as we struggle to pick up the pieces from COP15.

The editor

Print this article

1 comment:

  1. Shipra Bose, Monrovia LiberiaSunday, 20 December, 2009

    It was worth reading even at this preliminary stage, Eric!

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us all. Shall await the final version.

    Meanwhile let me wish you a merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year!
    Best,
    Shipra

    Shipra Bose (Ms)
    Senior Gender Advisor (CPR)
    UNDP Liberia
    Monrovia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. You may wish to check back to the original entry from time to time to see if there are reactions to this. If you have questions, send an email to: editor@worldstreets.org