Wednesday, August 17, 2011

In homage to Lee Schipper

Our long-time colleague and very dear friend Lee Shipper left us on Tuesday evening, warmly surrounded by family and loving friends. Since he meant so much to so many of us who have been involved in the uphill struggle for sustainability in all its forms and corners of our lives, I thought it would be appropriate to open up these pages over the next days, and possibly more than that, to a selection of pieces in which the author reflects on the kind of very special person that Lee was.

If you have not had a chance to have a look at this, his family set up something called a Carrying Bridge in which we were all invited to me comments and leave notes to Lee which the family kindly read to him on a selective basis when his strength permitted. you can find it at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/LeonJSchipper/guestbook.

I know I am not the only one who carried Lee in my mind and my heart over this last very hard month, so let us see what we might be able to do now to provide some sort of appropriate memorial for Lee so that his work and originality will not be forgotten. I have some thoughts on this which I hope to share with you in the coming days.  Let me provide you an advance clue on one aspect of it: and that is that I think it would take Lee smile and jump for joy.

But for now let me step back and leave the pages of World Streets open to your tributes, on the understanding that if you do not make us smile or laugh at what you have to say, the opportunities of your getting published here will be significantly reduced.

Goodbye Lee. We miss you greatly, we will not forget you and we are going to honor you.

Print this article